Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Let's Change Things Up


Hey everyone, it's been a while I know, but I'm back! Since my last post back in February of 2012 I mentioned that I had begun writing news at FPSGuru and writing monthly articles for Hooked Gamers. Unfortunately, I didn't stay with Hooked Gamers for long, only writing a few reviews and previews. Although, with FPSGuru after a few months of volunteering, I switched to salary, then became the Managing Editor of the site and oversaw just about everything. As of this month, things are starting to change let's just say.

I'll no longer be writing at FPSGuru by the end of this month, although I'll still be with the company as I run the Game List at MMORPG.com within the same network. Now I'm searching for more work in the industry and even thinking of making my own opportunities. Right now I've been trying to get as creative and innovative as possible with what direction I can take. Should I do freelance work, should I try and get a part-time writing gig, should I start my own site, take to focusing on a YouTube account, livestreaming more, these are all things I'm considering. And then all the thoughts that go into considering them lead into a thousand other little notes to write and issues to tackle.

In my career running FPSGuru for the last two years I've built a strong contact base by networking with companies online and at events in person. I've been to New York Comic Con, PAX East, PAX Prime, and Games For Change with more to come hopefully. Therefore, I'm trying to take advantage of my experience and hopefully be able to tackle whatever opportunities I come across while keeping busy.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do this blog of mine, but I need something to do while I have nothing to do. After not having written here actively for a couple years and coming back to see that it still gets views, even if it is small, it's heartwarming. I'd like to see this blog get more views even if it is only a blog. I don't know if I'll write articles every day, once a week, once a month, or not at all. I just don't know.

So why not just start with an update on what's going on with me and go from there? I've been considering turning this into a small site that covers video games run by just myself in my free time on the side. The big thing is, what will we cover? Covering every genre is a tough task and an even tougher one to excel at, especially alone. Since I'm used to my work in the FPS genre, I'm thinking I may focus on that regarding news, but possibly review whatever I can get my hands on. While at FPSGuru we covered just about any shooter whether FPS, TPS, top down shooters, etc. So it would only make sense to cover what I know well already, but I don't want to set any boundaries either.

Overall, let me see what I can change up here and there to bring more attention to the blog as well as bring you more frequent and helpful content. If you have any content you'd like to see, just let me know! Thanks guys!

1 comment: