Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Binding of Isaac Review!

You may of heard of The Binding of Isaac, a depressing game on Steam or the demo on Newgrounds. The Binding of Isaac is made by Team Meat, which is also well known for creating Super Meat Boy. For $5 you'll probably find this game to be a load of fun as I know I did!



"The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety." - Steam


The Binding of Isaac story may sound familiar as it's based on the religious story of Abraham spoken to in the name of faith. While this isn't extremely religious, the story is similar as Isaac's mother is spoken to by God that her son Isaac is evil. First that his clothes are evil, that his toys are evil, that practically everything is evil, soon that he is evil. This resorts to her sacrificing Isaac for God, but as he sees her coming he notices a latch in his room and jumps down into the basement just escaping her! Away into the deep pit of the basement where all sorts of creepy creatures and sad sights await. But the question is can he escape completely?

You'll know whether you like the game play once you get through the first two rooms. The game is a huge rogue-like and starts out with you in a room, then branching off into several other rooms. You move on from room to room killing creature after creature with your very own tears. To escape each room you enter, you'll most likely have to defeat all the enemies in the room before moving on. After defeating all the monsters you may be rewarded with coins, bombs, keys or even a power up to help you progress through the game. Once you get through enough rooms you may come across a shop, a treasure room, or finally the boss. To escape each level of the basement you need to defeat the boss on that level or else you may never leave. While it may sound repetitive you'd be surprised. A strong feature of the game is that it's completely randomly generated! The game is indeed a perma-death as several rogue-likes are.

binding%20of%20isaac%202.jpg

If you think it's simple and easy, then you're more so wrong than you even know. The controls of the game a re a little sketchy as they're annoying at first but grow on you. You use WASD to move and then the arrow keys or mouse to fire. A struggling part about is your shots fire only verticle or horizontal but can have a slight curve based on movement as well. I know I'm lucky the game doesn't tell you your accuracy, as I'd probably be doing terribly. You start out shooting tears, but this can change as you go. Other types of weapons would include tarot cards and bombs. 

By the time you escape the first floor of the basement, you'll have experienced the key points of the game and learn about power ups! The game has over 100 power ups and you'll notice this as you move between all the levels. It's not impossible to get an item you have before, but chances are in each play through you'll find something new. Chances are you won't find them all for a while though. While power ups can strengthen your stats or give you special effects, they'll also make your appearance crazy as can be. The fact that you can get several power ups and they stack on top of each other, sometimes it won't even make sense. Some of the power ups you can collect range from a wire coat hanger to a fetus in a jar. Power ups can be gotten mainly from rewards, treasure rooms, the start, or buying it. The only problem I'd say about power ups or items in general, is that some of them aren't quite obvious of what they do. You'll probably notice an appearance difference, but behind that it could be hurting you or helping you.


The replay value is definitely there as it's a different path every time you play. Since it's different every time, you may find one area easy and get awesome power ups. Or you might find tough as can be monsters. Considering this isn't one of the easiest games, you're probably going to die a lot while trying to reach the last boss. Myself among many other players have take on various attempts of plowing through level after level while experiencing a whole new experience. You'll come across new power ups and bosses each play through. And based on how you do in a play through you may gain achievements that'll unlock even more things for you in your next play through. Whether it be some new power ups, a character, a boss, or who knows what else! I've found myself playing this for hours or even just a quick play through for a few minutes if I'm bored to waste some time. Time will pass by quicker than you even realize while playing.

If you've played Super Meat Boy or seen videos on it, then you'll notice Team Meat has a specific artwork style. While The Binding of Isaac has a basic graphic set up, they get the message across without a doubt. Whether it's pools of blood spurting in different directions or just the way the characters and monsters are created. They manage to make you feel crept out and get you into the atmosphere of the game. Then there's the music which is a whole another story. The music may be eerie and calm while fighting in various rooms, but once you enter that boss room it really kicks in and lets you know whats going on. There's no way to listen to that music and not realize something is up. It lets you know a crazy battle is about to commence. Then when you find a secret room it's unlike any where else, it's calm, soothing, and peaceful. Meanwhile you have the most likely dead guy there.


My personal experience would definitely have to be a good one. Unfortunately I've still been unable to beat the game but I've gotten so close every time I swear. Another thing is I wish I took screen shots of some of the bazaar items I've gotten showing how strange I look. Sometimes it's funny or just doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. I've gotten a good 9 hours of game play in so far but will probably play some more soon. I probably am always firing to the point where I might as well have an auto fire. Chances are my accuracy is like 20% I'll admit. But I mean, I'm quick enough to dodge most of whats coming at me. I find most the bosses to be easy, but a few select monsters really bother me I must say. In the sense that they're difficult or annoying. I'd say The Binding of Isaac was definitely worth my $5. I was introduced to it by my brother who every now and then jumps at some Indie games and I hear word of it. Plus I mean it's Steam. I've noticed while playing I can make some of the worst decisions at times. I remember getting the cat named I think Guppy, who gives you 9 lives but one heart. At first I was like, sweet, 9 lives, I'm set! I'll never lose, then I saw the one heart, laying there, alone, mocking me basically. That was probably my worst decision. But a close second was being killed by the blood machine that you get coins from if you drop a heart. Yeah.. that was nice. Guess what monster I was killed by today journal, oh wait.

Overall - 4
Gameplay - 4
Story - 4
Replay value - 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment